Tuesday, January 21, 2014

#empowered


6 years ago I stood sick, ridden with headache after headache.  On medication for insulin resistance, depression, anxiety and not to mention the medication I took and ran out of for migraines each month.  I was tired all the time.  I was not the mother I wanted to be.  I decided to walk into a weight watchers meeting.  A year later I had lost 50lbs and a year after that an additional 30.  Since then have I not only learned how to eat right, but have accomplished several physical goals of complete 5 half marathons, numberous 5k,  climbing Pikes Peak, completing a metric century.  (Below see my before and after picture)





I stay active but food continues to be my main struggle.  The scale became my idol and how I felt about myself went up and down with it.  Feeling like I have been doing everything "right" but yet gaining 30lbs back, I have been ridden with fear that all those health problems will just return and it is out of my control. 

Since picking up the made to crave book I have been filled with a sense of  empowerment.





 I have realized that I do have my own orange Monster taunting me and lying to me and I do give into emotional eating.

  Yesterday after a success of reciting a bible verse 1Cor 10:23, Everything is permissible (to me) but not everything is beneficial (to me) and asking for Gods help I was able to overcome a craving, a craving of a large chocolate Lava cake I might add.  Only hours later overeating more than I have in month.  All the while making a choice to deny God and chose food.  I want to be different, I want to be strong, I want to be strong in body, mind and spirit. Not for me but for God so I can be who he needs me to be while I am here on earth.  I am powerless to do this on my own, but am empowered through Christ.  Already through our bible verse of the week, and using Verse Mapping,(http://heatherbleier.com/?s=verse+mapping)....Love it.

 I have identified that my true CRAVING is not food but yet security that I can only find in Gods arms.  Rest that I can only find in his house.  When crave food and it is not beneficial for me, I will take that as a warning sign that I need to find rest in HIM not food. And such empowerment in the FACT that I CAN CRY to him and he DOES here me, I just have to be willing to admit and ask.  Psalms 5;1-3.

To learn more about the Made to Crave Bible Study that is empowering me on this journey, follow the following link.

P31 OBS Blog Hop

8 comments:

  1. Laura, You have many great accomplishments! I need to learn to turn to God in prayer when the craving hits and allow Him to help me find the way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a new practice for me. It's works when I am willing to do it. I am still surprised that I willingly and thoughtfully caught myself refusing to ask for help.

      Delete
  2. Laura, I love how you are processing every step of this journey! Your doodles and notes are inspiring. You are on your way friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, I am new to P31. I thought I would visit a few blogs before jumping in. I think it is great how you lost your weight and accomplished so much. I need to hear inspiration like yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first study too. Thank you for the encouragement. I will be praying for your journey. Pray for me too.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration to others. It is very brave of you to put yourself out there also. I am grateful for your journey and appreciate you sharing it with me so I may have the success of my heart's desire as I walk with you on this journey called life. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story!! The scale as your idol..I would venture to say a lot of folks have the same idol. Our God is always there no matter where we are in life. He wants nothing but the very best for His children and seems to me you are doing an awesome job craving for our Savior!! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your weight loss journey and wow...all those races. Big high five!!

    Trish ( OBS Blog Hop Team & small group leader)

    ReplyDelete